Home Office Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) Delivery Managers are accountable for the delivery of products and services, helping teams to select the best ways of working and coaching them to continually improve their processes.
Delivery Managers are skilled in:
- planning and prioritisation
- agile and other delivery methodologies, and how to make a process work
- team dynamics - how to get the best out of a team and help them to collaborate with others
- communication - and the ability to choose the best ways to communicate with different audiences
- working with suppliers to get the best out of them
How the Home Office DDaT Delivery Profession supports Delivery Managers
The Delivery Manager role is recognised under the DDaT Profession Capability Framework. Working within this framework, the Delivery Profession ensures there are clear career paths for every role and access to relevant continuous professional development.
All Home Office Technology Delivery Managers are part of the Home Office Delivery community. Members of the Delivery community support each other by sharing knowledge and experience. This includes:
- our mentoring scheme, which connects more experienced Delivery Managers with those seeking advice or coaching
- regular knowledge sharing sessions that provide an opportunity for Delivery Managers or experts from outside the community to talk about a topic the community will find useful
- the Tripods scheme, which connects people working in Delivery across different parts of government in order to share experiences and discuss issues and ways to address them
Delivery Managers in the Home Office look to continually improve ways of working in their teams to get the best results possible.
The Home Office Delivery Profession is always evolving as we improve and find new ways to support our Technology Delivery Managers.
What does a Senior Delivery Manager in the Home Office do?
Hello, I’m Depak Patel. I work as a Senior Delivery Manager in the Automation Centre for the Chief Technology Office within DDaT. Automation is the use of technology to reduce, remove or augment human intervention in tasks or processes and allows people to focus on value-added tasks. The typical timescale for an automation project ranges from 3 to 6 months.
I have oversight of a number of automation projects from discovery to implementation. It’s exciting to solve real life operational problems through the innovative use of emerging technology.
I deliver a live service that is appropriately security assured and robust. My responsibilities include:
- attending early morning stand-up meetings to check on project progress through the use of Kanban and JIRA boards
- identifying any early indications of potential blockers to delivery and ensuring the team are empowered to resolve them
- collaborating with Delivery Managers to ensure milestones, project plans and risks are being managed and kept up-to-date
- ensuring Home Office governance and security assurance approvals are in place ahead of any live service being deployed
- co-ordinating reporting both internally and externally to ensure consistent and transparent communication with the customer at all times
- problem solving across a broad range of areas through innovation and collaboration
What I enjoy most about being a Technology Delivery Manager
Each day brings a variety of unique challenges.
I enjoy supporting and coaching Delivery Managers to ensure multidisciplinary teams deliver automation business products within scope, to time and to quality.
I particularly enjoy working with a diverse range of colleagues across different parts of the Home Office to help them remove their biggest pain points by improving processes. It’s satisfying to work together towards a common purpose, using innovative ways to solve problems and challenge the status quo.
Through the Delivery Profession community, I’m encouraged to learn new skills as well as maintain current agile methodology. I work in an environment that encourages me to fail fast and incorporate lessons learned into each new project.
We’re recruiting Technology Delivery Managers!
Apply by 13 February 2024:
Senior Outcome Technology Delivery Manager in our Data Services and Analytics team.
Apply by 14 February 2024:
Senior Technology Delivery Managers in our Police and Public Protection Technology Portfolio.
Senior Technology Delivery Manager in our Data Services and Analytics team.
Read our Home Office careers website for more information on what it’s like to work with us as a Technology Delivery Manager.